Wednesday, November 09, 2005

"You guys wanna go see a dead body?" (micro-review)

Stand By Me is the story of four adolescent boys who take a weekend journey to go see a dead body. More important than the story, though, are the boys themselves. To me, this movie is all about friendship and growing up. When I think about Stand By Me, I think about the memorable dialogue and the nostaligic songs. It's funny that a movie set 16 years before I was born is nostaglic for me. It's not the setting or year portrayed in the film, it's the memories of watching and quoting this film with my family. I'm not sure why Stand By Me sticks out so much in my memory. It just does.

So, it doesn't really matter to me how good or bad the DVD is, or whether there are exciting special features. I'll always love this movie just because it makes me feel good to watch it.

That being said, the audio is presented in Dolby Surround 2.0. This is a travesty. The train scene would have been so awesome if a 5.1 DTS soundtrack had been used. I can just imagine turning my speaker volume way up so the house shakes as the train comes roaring up behind Gordie and Vern. My wife would yell "What is all that racket!?" and I would just reply "TRAAAAAAAAAIINNNN!!!!!!!"

No comments: