Thursday, November 03, 2005

It's like Christmas...sort of...

Ah...there's nothing like coming home from work to find a large parcel, filled with DVDs, in your mailbox. It really helps ease the pain of then immediately learning that your wife has been in a car accident.

Ok, calm down. It wasn't too serious. More importantly, she's not at fault! She got a little bump from behind at an intersection and it looks like we'll have to replace the entire bumper. It must have been divine intervention that ensured I had half a dozen brand new DVDs to distract me from the frustrations of dealing with insurance companies and body shops.

In addition, the final chapter of the Star Wars saga was released on DVD the same day. I haven't had a chance to pick up a copy yet, but I'm looking forward to planning the first annual Star Wars Ridiculathon! All six films in one day. Sweeeet.

Alright, I know you're dying to know what new DVDs I got. Allow me to take you on a brief your of my newest arrivals:

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - Special Edition. A lot of people poo-poo Kevin Costner's take on this swashbuckling hero (or is that Australian table wines?). Regardless of what the masses think, I loved this movie. Great action, cool archery scenes, fantastic performances by Alan Rickman and Morgan Freeman, boisterous soundtrack, and one of the most fun movie quotes to scream at random, "To the treeeees!!!". I'm especially looking forward to listening to the glorious DTS track.

Leon, The Professional. Shauna and I watched this last night. What a great film. It's one of those flicks that seems tucked away from the world and only reveals its brilliance to those lucky enough to find it. Our good friend Chris introduced me to this film and am I ever glad he did. One of Gary Oldman's best performances. If you haven't seen this, and chances are you haven't, give me a call so you can come over to watch it.

Stand By Me - Special Edition. I can still remember my mom coming home one night and telling us kids that there was a movie we simply had to see. I'm not sure if we actually got a chance to see it in the theaters, since it was rated R and I would have been 11 years old at the time. Regardless, this is one of those movies from my childhood and I can't wait to watch it again. "TRAIN!!!"




Hook. Another favorite. This is one of those "it's just fun" movies. Dustin Hoffman gives a fantastic performance as Captain Hook, Robin Williams is his usual hilarious self, Steven Spielberg directs and John Williams conducts. What more could you ask for?



How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I'm a big fan of the original animated classic from Dr. Suess. When I heard that Jim Carrey was going to be taking on the role of the Grinch in a live-action feature, I wasn't sure if that was a good thing, or a great thing. Turns out it's a wonderful thing. It's certainly no replacement for the cartoon, but it is a very enjoyable retelling of the story. A new Christmas classic.



Superman. How can you not like Superman? Probably the first comic-book superhero movie I ever saw. It also introduced us to Christopher Reeve. When he switched from mild-mannered Clark Kent to Superman, I thought he was the coolest guy ever. It's going to be bitter sweet to watch this one again.



So many movies, so little time. Sigh. One day I'll be rich and I can just open my own private movie theater. One day...

No comments: