Wednesday, November 23, 2005

"Lie? Me? Never! The truth is far too much fun."

Hook was one of the seven movies I ordered as part of my introductory offer with Columbia House. Last night was the first time I had a chance to actually watch it. I’m not going to comment much on the story of the film, but I do want to mention how incredible this DVD sounds.

It’s not surprising that this is a pretty bare bones DVD. Hook came out in 1991, the same year that DVD technology was first being explored, and a good five years before the first DVD players became available. As a result, there is very little in the way of special features. Fortunately a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track is available, and this more than makes up for the lack of bonus features.

I immediately noticed how well the surrounds were used. The large pirate scene when Peter first arrives in Never-Neverland is filled with all the sounds you would expect in a bustling harbour port. You really feel like you are there, as opposed to simply watching it happen. When Captain Hook makes his first appearance I almost felt like shouting “Hook, Hook, show us the Hook!” with all the pirates. Their yells completely filled my living room. For a movie that’s almost 15 years old, the sound transfer is phenomenal.

Being a Steven Spielberg film, the score is composed by John Williams. I’m a huge fan and his music really benefits from the 5.1 audio. Full and triumphant, the fanfares explode from every speaker without overwhelming the dialogue or sound effects. This is the perfect example of a soundtrack that makes you feel like you’re part of the adventure. I can hear the orchestra in my head as I write this. I think this is some of William’s best work.

Hook is great fun and one that I look forward to watching again and again. And with the fantastic Dolby Digital track, I really can’t wait to hear it again and again. I originally ordered this DVD simply for nostalgic reasons – I always loved watching this delightful tale of Peter Pan and Captain Hook. But I was wonderfully surprised to experience one of the best DVD audio tracks I’ve ever heard.

I love movies!


Think of a happy thought and click here for 'Hook' trivia.

No comments: