Sunday, October 30, 2005

"Where does he get those wonderful toys?" (Review)

To accompany the DVD release of Batman Begins (see my review here), Warner Bros. released special edition versions of all the other Batman movies. I was very excited about this, as Batman was one of my favorite movies when I was younger. I couldn't wait for the chance to see it again in glorious Anamorphic widescreen and hear it in wondrous Digital Theater Sound (DTS).

For those of you who haven't already seen Tim Burton's vision of this dark comic book hero you might be a little disappointed if you watch it today. Turns out that while Batman was a thrill when it came out in 1989, it hasn't stood the test of time too well. Don't get me wrong. I loved watching it again, but mainly for the nostalgia. I could probably recite the movie line for line (but then, I can do that with most movies I guess) and it was much fun to relive those fantastic moments. However, those fantastic moments are pretty campy compared to today's movies. Have a look:

Vicky Vale: I just gotta know, are we going to try to love each other?
Batman: I'd like to, but he's out there right now, and I have to go to work.

Did they really say that?! I practically winced at the dialogue this time around. I guess a few things have changed in 16 years. Or how about this one:

Jack Napier: Why, Eckhardt, you oughta think about the future.
Lt. Eckhardt: Oh, you mean when you run the show? You ain't got no future, Jack. You're an A-1 nut boy and Grissom knows it!

An A-1 nut boy? Oh dear...

Campy dialogue aside, the movie is still very entertaining. Some of the special effects are glaringly obvious but that's to be expected due to the film's age. The action, the sets, and of course, the wonderful toys all make this film a fun ride. And let's not forget the main reason this film is so entertaining; Jack Nicholson's Joker.
I think a lot of people would agree that the Joker stole the show. Nicholson certainly delivered most, if not all, of the funniest lines from the film. His over-the-top portrayal of Batman's nemesis made many people think that his character was more important than Michael Keaton's Batman. Certainly the studio thought so, giving Nicholson top billing for the picture. Michael Keaton's primary role seems to be to simply fill a rubber suit, while the Joker has something witty and absurd to say in virtually every scene he's in. My mom still quotes the Joker from time to time. Truly a memorable performance.

Being a Tim Burton film, Batman is quite dark. Gotham City comes across more as an industrial park nightmare than a bustling metropolis. It works though, as Batman is meant to exist in an environment that fits his own dark, brooding nature. I'm not sure what drugs Burton was taking when he filmed Batman Returns, but fortunately the first film doesn't seem to suffer too much.

As I mentioned, this special edition release has been remastered in 1.85:1 Anamorphic video and 5.1 DTS. While a few scenes are a touch grainy, most of the picture is clear and sharp. And while I appreciate a DTS score anyday, Batman relies mainly on the front channels, using the surrounds only for some ambient noise and soundtrack. Overall, for a 16 year old film, this DVD transfer is probably as good as it can get.

Batman was a great trip down memory lane for me. I was smiling throughout at the dialogue, fight scenes, music and costumes. It's hard to compare it to the recent Batman Begins as the two are completely different films that just happen to be about the same character. I would guess, however, that if you've seen Batman Begins, but you have not seen Batman, you might be fairly disappointed in the original. Fair warning.

Batman: Special Edition gets 8 wonderful toys (out of 10)

Caped trivia for 'Batman'.

No comments: