Thursday, October 20, 2005

Wanna watch a movie?


I love movies.

If you know me, it's very likely you've heard me say that before. And it's true. I really do love movies. Tom Hanks' acceptance speech when he was awarded the American Film Institute's (AFI) Life Achievement Award in 2002 pretty much sums up how I feel about movies. I wish I had a transcript of it to share with you, but my Google-search of the Internet was fruitless.

I love watching movies because they are so many things. Art. Escape. Imagination. Beauty. Laughter. I don't know exactly why but especially in the last couple of years movies have really become my main hobby. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that my wife loves movies also, and she let's me spend all our money on DVDs and home theater equipment.

Actually, now that I think about it, Shauna may have been personally responsible for my movie addiction in the first place. She's the one who bought me a surround sound system for my birthday a few years ago. I think loud movie-noise and rumbly subwoofers are like heroin for the human ear. The first time you hear surround sound it's unlike anything you've ever heard before...and you want MORE! And like heroin (so I've heard), each time you hear it, it needs to be louder and bass-ier and there needs to be more speakers.


My name is Tom Ginn, and I'm addicted to surround sound. It's been nearly 16 hours since my last 'hit'.


The best part about watching movies, is watching them with friends. Few things give me greater joy than sitting down to watch a really good movie with someone who's never seen it before. It makes me giggle just thinking about the time I watched the first two Alien movies with Enrique (I've changed his name to protect the terrified), who had never seen either of them before. I'm told he went straight home and watched a Disney movie before he could go to sleep.
Hee hee.

When I hear that someone has never seen a particular movie, I usually respond with "You've never seen Waterworld?! OOOOHHHhhh!!!!" (Ok, bad example). But aside from my astonishment that they've never seen it, I feel excited at the prospect of being with them when they finally do get a chance to watch it.

"You've got to see it! You'd love it! You should come over and watch it sometime. Hey, what are you doing right now? I'm sure Shauna would LOVE to spend our anniversary watching the Die Hard Trilogy! I'll start making the popcorn!"
Yup. I love movies. I love watching them. I love talking about them. And apparently I now enjoy blogging about them too.

Maybe I'll skip karate and watch a movie tonight. Anyone want to come over?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would... But it's now 9:40pm... Are you still up, watching movies? ;)

Vince

Anonymous said...

It's 2:03am....are you still up watching movies? If so, cool.

Scott and I just finished playing NHL 2006 for the last 4 hours. Watching the Flames win on TV makes me want to play hockey. But I can't skate (or I can, but I can't stop). SO, NHL 06 has become my heroin.

Brian