Tuesday, December 05, 2006

"Just consider me the best cocktail party story you ever met."

I love finding a new, great movie. Especially when it’s a film that you’re not expecting to be great in the first place. I had that experience with The Matador this past weekend. I recall the trailer looked pretty funny and thought it might be interesting to check it out. While scanning the back of the DVD case I noticed that Pierce Brosnan received a Golden Globe nomination for his role in the film. That should have tipped me off that this was more than just a run-of-the-mill comedy. As one IMDB user commented, “The Matador is killer comedy.”

Julian Noble (Brosnan) is an international hitman who lives a globetrotting lifestyle, ‘facilitating’ jobs around the world. Danny Wright (Greg Kinnear) is an unlucky salesman who is running out of hope that anything in life will go his way. Both men are in Mexico on business when they meet each other at a hotel lounge. I know what you’re thinking. The tagline of this film sums it up nicely; a hitman and a salesman walk into a bar…

"I’m a big fan of the “Everybody’s got
to pee” theory of assassination."

What appears to be a simple, little story turns out to be one of the most cleverly written and well-acted films I’ve seen in a long time. And it’s brilliantly funny. The unlikely duo of Noble and Wright is an intriguing and entertaining combination. Each new scene adds another element that continues to draw you in to their lives. If you feel like you’ve got one of the characters pegged and you understand where they are coming from, then the writer has you right where he wants you. And it’s not where you think it is.

This isn’t a caper film or a surprise-ending film, although there are some interesting twists throughout. This is a character film with terrific dialogue and a darn good story. There’s a lot of heart in this movie and it’s easily Brosnan’s best film to date. I loved his character and hated him at the same time. I cheered for him, mourned his losses, laughed at his misfortune and ultimately found myself on the same emotional roller-coaster that Julian Noble himself was going though. If you think you’ve seen every world-class-assassin character there is, think again. Even if you think you can imagine what this particular assassin might be like, think again. Noble is, at first, contemptuous, rude and insulting. The lonely lifestyle of a hired killer has made him abrasive and crude. But there’s more going on underneath all that bravado. You’ve never met anyone like Julian Noble and neither has Danny Wright.

"Oh, so now killing people is a good time?"

One of the many things that makes this film work as well as it does is its honesty. And that honesty comes through Danny Wright (Kinnear). He is the every-man who believes in the general goodness of people and is simply trying to make ends meet. He asks the questions we would ask if we ever met Julian. Danny sees Noble the way we would see him. It draws you into the film and takes a seemingly impossible situation and makes it real. I was nodding my head as much as I was laughing. The Matador is funny and real. I’m not sure how that works, but it does.

I will definitely be picking this one up on DVD. When I get a chance to check out some of the special features, I’ll try to remember to let you know. The picture and sound quality are top-notch. Although it’s mostly dialogue driven, The Matador doesn’t lack in roaring sound effects and music. Everything comes together nicely on this DVD transfer and I haven’t a single complaint.

"I need a break. There’s no retirement
home for assassins is there?
Archery at four? Riflery at five?"

The Matador is another one of those diamond-in-the-rough ‘indie’ films (Stratus Film Co.) that shines. Do yourself a favour and pick this one up. It’s a guaranteed good-time.

The Matador gets 9 Coronas (out of 10).
Click here to facilitate some trivia for ‘The Matador’.

No comments: