Monday, November 06, 2006

"You've got to pick a pocket or two, boys."

I’m a big fan of blockbuster movies. Many of the films in my DVD collection are big-budget productions with lots of special effects, high-profile actors and incredible stunts. There’s just nothing like a really good explosion. So it might seem odd that I’m also a big fan of musicals. While they may not contain many special effects or explosive stunts musicals are just as entertaining. And this weekend I found time to watch two classic musicals that everyone should see at least once: My Fair Lady and Oliver!

I first saw Oliver! when I was in grade 9 or 10. My memory is a little fuzzy but I seem to recall watching it over several English classes. My English teacher at the time, Mr. Albrecht, remains one of my favourite teachers ever. Think of Mr. Keating from Dead Poets Society but with an attitude. Mr. Albrecht would often expose us to different forms and interpretations of literature from Shakespearean plays to music and film. Sadly he passed away last year but I’ll always be thankful for the ways in which he made me appreciate English as more than just a language.

I remember that I instantly liked Oliver! We had already read the novel Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens (not Edmund Wells, the well-known Dutch author) and I have to admit that I found it very slow. I think I was probably still a little too young to fully recognize the value of good literature but when I saw the same story in musical form I immediately gained new appreciation for the story. One of the reasons I enjoyed it was simply because it was something to watch rather than read; I’ve always been more of a visual learner. But ultimately it was the music that made me a fan. (Imagine that, a musical that’s enjoyable because of the music!)

It was the combination of catchy tunes, witty lyrics and impressive choreography that made Oliver! so entertaining. There should really be another word to describe “musicals” since their appeal comes from so much more than just the music. There’s more than one clever message in Oliver! and if you listen to the lyrics carefully and take note of the character’s performance you’ll see what I mean. You’ll smile during Fagan’s brilliant delivery of “I’m Reviewing the Situation” and not just because the music is pleasant. There’s a battle raging inside Fagan’s mind and heart and it’s delightfully funny and poignant to see those feelings revealed through smart lyrics and the cadence and rhythm of the song.

"It's clear... we're... going to get along!"

Oliver! was first released in 1968 and it continues to be one of the most entertaining musicals I’ve ever seen. If you’ve never seen it, or even if you have, I strongly urge you to give it a spin in your DVD player. Or come over and give it a spin in mine and we can sing along together with “Food, Glorious Food”, “I’d Do Anything”, “Consider Yourself at Home” and all the other fantastic songs.

Four years earlier, in 1964, one of the most famous and acclaimed musicals of all time was first released; My Fair Lady. I saw this film for the first time with Shauna and her mom several years ago. Everything I said about Oliver! applies to My Fair Lady. Great music, fantastic lyrics and stunning choreography. I instantly liked it and it wasn’t until last night, when we had a chance to see it again with Chris & Amanda, that I realized it is better than I remembered.

Rex Harrison stars as Professor Henry Higgins, a linguistics genius who can tell where anyone was born, within 6 miles, just from hearing their voice. Audrey Hepburn gives one of her most memorable performances as Eliza Doolittle, a lowly flower girl with a thick cockney accent who becomes the subject of a wager. The misogynistic professor predicts that after only 6 months of teaching he can pass Eliza off as a member of high society. What seems like a simple plot is the foundation for a highly entertaining and incredibly funny musical that was nominated for 12 Academy Awards and went on to win 8 of them, including Best Picture.

My Fair Lady is one of the most intelligent and clever musicals that I have ever seen. Even if you’re not a big fan of musicals this one is worth a try. I defy anyone to watch Harrison’s performance of “Why Can’t a Woman be more like a Man” and not laugh out loud. It’s one of those pieces that gets just gets funnier with time. And the music itself remains enjoyable even after 42 years. Again, I challenge anyone to watch “With a Little Bit of Luck” and not tap their feet to the catchy tune and delightful harmonies.

"Women are irrational, that's all there is to that! Their heads are full of cotton, hay, and rags. They're nothing but exasperating, irritating, vacillating, calculating, agitating, maddening and infuriating hags!"

While films like Mission: Impossible 3, Lord of the Rings and X-Men will continue to amaze and entertain with their fantastic effects and big budget productions it’s important to take a look back at the classics. Will Lord of the Rings be as incredible in 40 years? I think it will be and I certainly hope it will be. But there is no doubt that Oliver! and My Fair Lady are still incredible. They have stood the test of time very well and I hope you’ll give them a chance or a second glance.

Please sir, I want some more ‘Oliver!’ trivia. Click here.
Where the devil is the ‘My Fair Lady’ trivia? Oh, here it is.

Before you surf off to another site, leave a comment and let us all know what are some of your favourite classic films. Cheers!

No comments: