Wednesday, November 15, 2006

"I'll probably lose my citizenship for this."

When I saw the first Mission: Impossible film back in date I was very impressed. Like most people I was excited to see the motion picture version of what was already a very popular television series (two actually). I’ve always been a fan of big-budget, action adventure pictures and Mission: Impossible was very clearly one of those. We got to watch Ethan Hunt and his IMF team perform incredible stunts, ingenious planning and breathtaking action sequences. It wasn’t trying to be anything more than it was; a good, fun ride. I’m therefore a little confused why many people found the sequel, MI:2 to be such a disappointment. Certainly the new director, John Woo, had a much different style of telling what is basically the same story (IMF team must save world from imminent and lethal danger). But when it comes to a franchise like Mission: Impossible I think a different vision is needed. I recognized these differences in MI:2 but I still enjoyed it and thought it stayed true to the heart of Mission: Impossible.

All that is to bring you up to speed on how I felt about the third instalment, before I had even seen it. I was worried. I was worried because so many people seemed to react negatively to MI:2. Would their love of the first film prevent them from ever accepting any other MI movie that wasn’t exactly the same? I was worried because Tom Cruise was getting negative publicity due to his scientology and girlfriend “antics”. Would people base their opinion of MI:3 on Cruise’s personal life? The lives of celebrities have never really interested me that much. I’m certainly intrigued by the lifestyle but when it comes to enjoying a movie I’m really only concerned with the actor’s ability to portray a character. And despite his insanity Tom Cruise portrays an electric and entertaining Ethan Hunt which successfully carries over to the third MI film.

In short, Mission: Impossible III is fantastic.

"It's such a nice car..."

At the helm is first-time film director J. J. Abrams, the same man responsible for directing the hit television series Lost and Alias. In fact it was while Cruise was watching episodes of Alias that he decided to give Abrams a call and offer him the chance to direct M:i:III. Impressively, Abrams manages to deliver a film that is both exciting and dark. All the impressive stunts, technology and planning are still there (in fact there’s arguably more than in the first two films combined) but the tone of the film is what is so intriguing. It’s sinister, frantic and emotional. All these elements combine to create an exhausting ride that both entertains and astounds.

I won’t go into any major details regarding the plot. Hunt and his team of IMF agents must once again go into action trying to stop a villain from obtaining something called the ‘rabbit’s foot’. Only this time Hunt is engaged to be married and has given up field work in exchange for training new agents. This gives him a new emotional side that plays havoc with his decision to once again accept the mission. The opening scene itself shows Hunt captured and forced to watch the villain threaten to execute his fiancĂ©. The tension that is established at the outset only builds through to the movie’s conclusion. There is a lot going on in M:i:III but it all comes together nicely.

"Well I'm assuming the rabbit's foot is some sort of a codename for a deadly weapon. Or it could just be some very expensive bunny appendage."

I have to agree with one of the points mentioned in many other reviews of this film; more Philip Seymour Hoffman. Hoffman is the perfect villain. He plays Owen Davian, an international arms dealer whose vicious nature is only exceeded by his calm detachment. He’s not threatening Hunt when he says he’s going to find, torture and kill his fiancĂ©; he’s stating a fact. Hoffman is magnificent at pulling off the cold-blooded ruthlessness of Davian and it is a disappointment that we don’t get to see more. Not surprisingly this film is all about Cruise.

I contemplated discussing Cruise’s involvement as producer and how his seemingly self-absorbed nature has impacted the film, but you can read all about that in the so-called entertainment magazines. I’m just interested in the movie itself and I have to admit that I was impressed and thoroughly entertained. Say what you want about Cruise, he knows how to make an incredible action flick.

The DVD transfer is presented in 2.35:1 Anamophic widescreen and looks pretty stunning, especially during the action scenes (which is a good 80% of the film). My only complaint is that the contrast seemed a bit too dark. It certainly matches the mood of the film but there were times where I would have preferred a little more detail. The Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack thunders. A DTS track would have been incredible but I wasn’t disappointed. Any movie that makes your wife have to travel 2 stories in order to tell you she can’t hear her own music is a good movie. Sorry Shauna.

"I need you to trust me."

The 2-Disc collector’s edition comes packed with special features, most of which I have actually watched. There is some very interesting material in here, if you’re interested in that kind of thing. Several featurettes cover the making of the film and focus on everything from the stunts to the story and the characters. Anyone with an interest in filmmaking won’t be disappointed. I was especially intrigued to learn that Cruise insisted on performing all his own stunts. If you’ve seen the film then you know how impressive that is. All in all the DVD package is well worth the money (especially if you got $10 off at Future Shop by picking it up on release day).

The latest news is that Tom Cruise is no longer associated with Paramount Pictures, which means he’s no longer associated with the Mission: Impossible franchise. I think that’s too bad. This third film is a perfect fit with the first two and makes for a sensational trilogy. I don’t know what the future holds for the IMF team but it won’t include Cruise’s Ethan Hunt, a proven action hero.

Mission: Impossible III gets 8 ½ self-destructing messages (out of 10).
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to click here for M:i:III trivia.

No comments: