Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Movie Review Catch-Up Part III

I bet you thought I wasn’t going to post Part III today, didn’t you? Yeah, I know you. There you are sitting by your computer refreshing my blog every 30 seconds, hoping for my next posting, which usually happens much earlier in the day. You probably started to get the shakes worrying that maybe I wouldn’t post today. Well have no fear because here it is! The Movie Review Catch-Up Part III.

There’s a quote from Return of the Jedi about “delusions of grandeur”. I think it applies to me.

Courage Under Fire – I can’t even remember where or when I first saw this movie. I’m not even 100% sure how it ended up in my DVD collection. It might have been a gift. Possibly from my wife. Anyway, the point is, like the majority of the movies in my collection, Courage Under Fire is a terrific flick. Although it follows a bit of the same pattern as other military dramas the characters are very engaging and the performances incredibly entertaining. Denzel Washington, Meg Ryan, Matt Damon, Scott Glenn and Lou Diamond Phillips star in this story about the first Medal of Honor to be awarded, posthumously, to a woman for her actions in combat. Combined with numerous flashbacks from different points of view, Courage Under Fire is intelligent and exciting, and will keep you guessing. “It’s the consequences. Imagine a life without consequences.”

Brotherhood of the Wolf – I borrowed this movie a while back and only just got around to watching it a few days ago. I never really knew what it was about but thought it looked cool and had some potential. I knew it was a French film, with English subtitles, but most of the foreign films I’ve seen are pretty good. Well this one starts out really good with some incredible cinematography and impressively choreographed fight scenes. The story is also quite intriguing. (From IMDB) ‘In 18th century France, the Chevalier de Fronsac and his native American friend Mani are sent by the King to the Gevaudan province to investigate the killings of hundreds by a mysterious beast’. Sounds interesting, doesn’t it? Well, unfortunately the story falls apart about 2/3rds of the way through and what I originally thought would be an intelligent, creative explanation for the killings turned out to be quite weak. I was disappointed. I can understand bad movies being bad, but this was a good movie that went bad. Maybe the ‘best-before’ date expired while I was watching it. “Instead of singing songs, they should be saying prayers.”

The Legend of 1900 – It’s like finding $20 in your coat pocket while searching for your keys – completely unexpected and delightful. The Legend of 1900 is one those movies that few people have heard about but stands out as one of the best films I’ve seen in a long time. Tim Roth stars as 1900, born on a cruise ship in the same year (thus the name) and who lives his life on the ocean, never setting foot on land. And as fate would have it, he is a prodigy piano player. Filled with wonderful music and poetic dialogue, Legend is just as much fun to watch as it is to listen to. And the DTS soundtrack just makes me giddy when I play it. It may not have the best acting in the world, but the writing and music more than make up for it. It’s a beautiful, funny, romantic and haunting film that anyone with any taste would enjoy. So, if you don’t like it, you have no taste. My, I’m being quite judgmental today. Well it’s one of the perks of having a blog, I guess. “Land is a ship too big for me.”

The Full Monty – I’m still convinced that it was Anthony who first recommended this film to me but he swears it’s the other way around. Either way this is definitely a film that appeals to the kind of sense of humour that Anthony and I share. First of all, it’s British. And let me tell you, the British know humour. Monty Python. Need I say more? Second of all…well, there really isn’t a second of all. There doesn’t have to be. I mean, it’s British! The Full Monty is about a group of out-of-work steelworkers who get the idea to perform a male strip show in their local town to earn some extra money. And in order to top those Chippendale hacks, they decide to go for the full monty – total nudity. While it may take the novice viewer a few rewinds here and there to fully understand the dialogue, what is clear is that these chaps are not what you would expect in a male dancer. Quite the opposite, in fact. But what they lack in, er, talent, they more than make up for with heart. If you can watch this film and not have a huge grin on your face by the end, then you have no soul. Ok, I think I need to reign in the judgmental-ness a little. “Anti-wrinkle cream there may be, but anti-fat-bastard cream there is not.”

Out of Time – Another selection from my roommate’s collection and one I’ve never seen before. Denzel Washington stars in this “thrilling” film about a police chief who has to race against the clock and his fellow detectives in order to prevent himself from becoming the main suspect in a homicide investigation. Maybe I was expecting more or maybe I built it up in my mind long before I got around to seeing it, but Out of Time just didn’t do it for me. It was entertaining, a little, and had a few funny moments. But in the end it didn’t quite live up to…whatever it was I was expecting. There’s a good chance I was just in the wrong mindset because Denzel doesn’t usually disappoint and I do recall several exciting scenes during the film. Maybe I have to watch it again. Shauna is definitely into these kinds of films so she’s probably a better judge than I am about this one. I’ll have her watch it and then I’ll get back to you. How’s that for a cop-out? “A beer in the hand is worth two in the fridge.”

Well that almost covers all the movies I’ve seen in the last few weeks. I’m only a couple movies behind now so this is probably a good place to end the Movie Review Catch-Up. Thanks for reading! Send along your comments on any of these films, or other films, or anything film-related. Or un-film related. I just like getting comments.

Until next time, turn the volume up loud, the lights down low and the cell-phones OFF!

No comments: