Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Movie Review Catch-Up Part II

As part of my quest to catch up on reviewing all the films I’ve watched in the last month or so, here is the next entry in my Movie Review Catch-Up. The fan mail I’ve been receiving in regards to the lack of postings over the last little while has been staggering. Hopefully this small collection of mini-reviews will keep you satisfied.

The Jackal – It’s rare that Bruce Willis plays the bad guy. We’re so used to him being the big action super-star who ultimately saves the day. The Jackal is incredibly entertaining because we finally get to see Bruce play the cold, ruthless assassin who will stop at nothing to accomplish his mission. The brief moments of interplay between Willis and Richard Gere are intense, but it’s hard to know who to root for. Willis’ character is really cool at times, but he’s also really, really bad. A wonderfully entertaining bit with Jack Black rounds off this fantastic flick. “Oh yeah! Bring on the sprawl, baby!”

Walk the Line – I’ve been looking forward to seeing this film ever since I first heard that Joaquin Phoenix was practicing for his then up-coming role as the Man in Black, Johnny Cash. I have been a fan of Phoenix’s work ever since Gladiator and each new film with him in it just reinforces my respect for his ability as an actor. Walk the Line is one more beautiful example of how versatile Joaquin is. His portrayal of Mr. Cash is breathtaking, from the way he speaks to the way he plays his guitar and sings those haunting songs. Apparently it was Johnny Cash himself who chose Joaquin to portray him, after seeing his role in Gladiator, just three years before Cash passed away. Even if you’re not a huge fan of Johnny Cash, and I certainly wasn’t, this is still one to check out. It’s a great biographical story and is filled with incredible performances. “Don’t give me no rules. All I got are rules.”

The Princess Bride – I’m not sure if there’s any point in saying how good this film is. The three people in the world who don’t like it probably aren’t reading my blog anyway. How can you not like this film? It’s got fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love and miracles. It’s one of those movies that has a quote for every situation in life. And best of all, anyone can watch it, from age 5 to 105. The special edition DVD is a wonderfully re-mastered version of this classic and I highly recommend picking up a copy. This is definitely a must-have. “Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.”

The Right Stuff – After watching Apollo 13 and the HBO mini-series From The Earth To The Moon, it made sense that Shauna and I would add The Right Stuff to our collection. I had rented the film a couple of years ago but made the silly mistake of watching Disc 2 before Disc 1. I could never figure out why the film seemed so disjointed and confusing. We watched the whole 3 hour flick in the right order this time and I was pleased to see that it made much more sense. Following the real life story of test pilots and America’s first astronauts, The Right Stuff is an entertaining and informative look at the space race. Ed Harris, Dennis Quaid, Sam Sheppard, Scott Glenn, Jeff Goldblum and a host of other big names star in this classic portrayal of America’s reach for the stars. Does that sound as hokey and cliché as I think it does? “Request permission to relieve bladder.”

Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events – This film was made for Jim Carrey. From what I understand, the books are nearly as popular as the Harry Potter franchise and appeal to the same audience – that is, anyone with an imagination and a sense of humour. Jim Carrey is the embodiment of imagination and humour and he shines as the deliciously evil Count Olaf. The movie is filled with wonderful characters and incredible sets and ends up being a very entertaining book-come-to-film. If you like Harry Potter and Jim Carrey, you’ll love this series of very unfortunate events. “This would be an excellent time to walk out of the theatre, living room, or airplane where this film is being shown.”

That should tide you over until tomorrow, when I will post Part III of my Movie Review Catch-Up. Now that you’re finished reading about these wonderful movies, perhaps it’s time to come over and watch one. I’ll get the popcorn started.

No comments: