Saturday, December 03, 2005

"They don't make mistakes. They don't do random."

Some movies do better on a smaller screen. I think The Bourne Supremacy is one of them. Now before you go thinking that I wish I had a smaller TV allow me to explain. The director, Paul Greengrass, decided to use a hand held camera for many of his action shots in order to give a more realistic, gritty look to the film. A hand held does make things look more intense and chaotic. The only problem with that is that things look more intense…and chaotic. A couple of the action scenes in particular start to become so disjointed that it is almost impossible to tell exactly what is going on. That’s a shame when it comes to a movie with Jason Bourne because his moves are so cool you want to be able to see everything that he’s doing. There is a way to minimize this unfortunate aspect – a smaller screen. And by smaller I mean smaller than a theater. Turns out a screen size of about 51 inches is just perfect. I’m happy to say that Bourne looks just as cool as he did in the first film. I really hope they make a third.

Lately it seems like Shauna and I have been on a real World War II kick. I think it’s from having watched the Band of Brothers HBO series a little while ago. Now we’re fascinated with the war. It seemed only natural, especially after watching The Pianist, that we’d be interested in seeing some of the aftermath. Nuremberg does a great job of describing the events that surrounded the war trials of Hermann Goring and 20 other German officers and leaders. Originally presented as a television mini-series, Nuremberg runs just over 3 hours long. But it doesn’t seem that long at all. This is an intense, provocative look at the attitudes of all parties involved in the war. Alec Baldwin and Brian Cox both deliver incredible performances. This one is definitely worth a look if you have any interest in WWII.

Christopher Reeve is Superman. It seems fitting that his legacy as the man of steel lives on after all the he went through. The movie is now more than just a comic book flick – it’s nostalgia for a superhero. The extended edition provides a great deal of back story for Kal-El. In fact, it’s almost an hour before we even first see Christopher Reeve as Superman. But it works really well. By the time Superman saves Lois Lane and carries the helicopter back to the top of the building I was cheering because of how much build up there had been. The extended edition gives you a much better look at what is really going on in Superman’s mind. I think it’s the sense of some vulnerability that makes him that much more, well, super. The film was first released in 1978 and I have to admit it does look dated. There’s a fair amount of cheesiness throughout but the one thing that remains unaffected by the film’s age is Superman himself. Christopher Reeve is so cool. And while I’m really looking forward to Kevin Spacey as Lex Luther in the upcoming Superman Returns, I don’t envy Brandon Routh. He’s got a big cape to fill.

Classified trivia for ‘The Bourne Supremacy’.
Never forget. Trivia for ‘Nuremberg’.
Invincible trivia for ‘Superman’.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom,

WWII has always been a very big interest for me, though I can't share the detailed facts that a certian history buff that we love
(Dave) can!!

I watch as many moves and read as many books as I can on the subject, and specifically about the long term consequences and trauma suffered by victims of the holocaust.

I will be sure to keep up with any movies that you mention that are dealing with the subject.. thanks for touching on the movie Neuremberg.. haven't seen it yet but will be sure to do so.

Love to all,

Barbara

Tom said...

Thanks for the comments Barbara. The best WWII show I've ever seen has to be the Band of Brothers mini-series, produced by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg. I'm hoping to host a Band of Brothers marathon one day to watch all 10 episodes in one sitting. If you are interested and available, you should definitely join us!

Also, the book Band of Brothers by Ambrose is equally as interesting. I highly recommend it.

Tom