Friday, May 13, 2011

"How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do?"

Invictus

By William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

On Tuesday night I watched Invictus for the first time. Something tells me it won’t be the last time.

Invictus is about Nelson Mandela and rugby. Ok, maybe it’s a little more in-depth than that, but I’m not sure I’m qualified to put into words exactly what is at the heart of this film; only that it has tremendous heart and rings all the more true given that it is based on real events.

Lately I’ve been challenging myself to look beyond the mere quality of a film and instead try to find those truths that God speaks through the film. I’ve always believed that God’s truth exists everywhere; we just have to look for it. This can be said of all man’s accomplishments (and failures) but seems to be most prevalent in the arts: music, film, paintings, sculptures and poetry, to name a few. I think this is because of the creative nature of the arts. If God is the God of all creation, then it shouldn’t surprise us when His truths are revealed in our own creations.

"Forgiveness liberates the soul. It removes fear. That is why it is such a powerful weapon."
Having said all that, I’m not sure I can pin down the truths revealed in Invictus or do it justice with my simple words. But I’ll do my best.

At one point in the film, Matt Damon’s character, Francois Pienaar, is touring the prison cell where Nelson Mandela (portrayed perfectly by Morgan Freeman) was held for 25 years. As he tries to put himself in Mandela’s shoes we hear Freeman’s voice recite the poem ‘Invictus’. This is a poem, and similarly a film, about soul. And not just any soul, but an unconquerable soul.

"I was thinking about how you spend 30 years in a tiny cell, and come out ready to forgive the people who put you there."
Two of God’s greatest gifts to us are our soul and the freedom to choose what we do with it; the freedom to choose our own path. He offers guidance, help, forgiveness, even eternal life, but ultimately we are the masters of our own fate; we are the captains of our souls. I think it is the combination of our ability to direct our own destiny and God’s willingness to help guide us, should we choose to allow Him to do so, that makes the soul of man unconquerable.

The poem speaks this truth much more eloquently that I am able to convey here. In the film it is demonstrated through Mandela’s attempts to forgive his accusers and bring together a divided nation. It is demonstrated through Francois’ determination to exceed everyone’s expectations and achieve something great. Despite being “simply” about Nelson Mandela and rugby, Invictus manages to reveal God’s truth. That with His help, in the face of grief, sorrow, pain and struggling, the challenge of life finds, and shall find, us unafraid.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

Boo-yah...! There it is, your voice, your 'step out'. Welcome. People want to hear what you have to say and when you shout from the rooftops like this - this post - people will listen. xoxo