Thursday, February 09, 2006

"It's like looking in a mirror...only...not."

A Few of my Favourite Movie Scenes

In recalling some of my favourite movie moments, I came to realize that they all follow a similar theme – expression. The look on the character’s face during a specific moment. A talented actor in a well directed scene can convey more meaning in a single look than others can with a page of dialogue. The downside of trying to blog about those kinds of movie scenes is that most, if not all of them are scenes that really need to be seen (scene?) in order to be fully appreciated. The upshot of trying to blog about favourite movie scenes, or anything for that matter, is that I can do whatever I want in my own blog. I’m mad with power! Mwahahaha! Hopefully you recognize a few of these fantastic moments and appreciate them as much as I do.

There is a scene in The Count of Monte Cristo when Mercedes looks across a crowded ballroom to meet the Count, whom she immediately recognizes as Edmond – a man she thought to be dead for over 13 years. The look on Mercedes face is priceless and is even more powerful given that everyone else in the film has no idea who the Count really is. He has become so different from Edmond that only his true love could possibly know his true identity. Very moving.

My favourite Face/Off scene has to be the moment when Sean Archer (Nicholas Cage), disguised as Castor Troy, is waiting to be released from Erewhon Prison and in walks Castor Troy (John Travolta), disguised as Sean Archer. The look on the real Archer’s face as he begins to realize the horrific truth that Castor is alive and free is incredible. Not to mention Travolta’s wicked smile at the knowledge that he’s now holding all the cards. The “what a predicament” scene is also pretty high on my list.


My favourite moment in The Fellowship of the Ring is when Frodo stands up during the argument at the council of Elrond and exclaims that he will take the ring to Mordor. I love the look on Gandalf’s face as he turns to Frodo, both proud and terrified of his friend’s decision. Ian McKellen is a genius.



There is a subtle moment, during a very un-subtle scene in The Two Towers, when Grima Wormtongue is listening to Saruman’s war speech. Saruman reveals a vast army of Urak Hai, ten thousand strong. The sight of this force, bred solely for the destruction of mankind, brings a single tear to Grima’s eye. It’s a fascinating dichotomy that is easily missed unless you’re really paying attention. And yes, I just used the word ‘dichotomy’ in my blog. I told you I was mad with power.

The Return of the King takes about half an hour to wrap up, which a lot of people complained about, but I found it to be the perfect way to end a 10 hour saga. After Aragorn’s coronation he walks among the thousands of spectators and soldiers and comes across his four hobbit companions who bow out of respect for their new king. Aragorn immediately stops them saying “My friends, you bow to no one.” I think I missed what happens next because some dust must have got in my eye and I was busy trying to wipe away the resulting moisture. Sniff…

It would be easy to pick just about every scene Tom Hanks is in, in every movie he’s ever made. One that comes to mind at the moment is a scene in Cast Away. Hanks’ character has been on the island for four years already when we watch a scene with him eating some fish. It’s a beautiful, tropical island with an incredible ocean view and Hanks sits with his back to the sea, staring at nothing as he mechanically consumes his meal. He seems completely unaware of everything around him, even the raw fish he’s eating. It’s a look of desperation that has long since faded to utter hopelessness.

I could probably fill several pages with my favourite movie moments, but there’s just a few for you. It fascinates me to realize just how powerful a movie can be. And it’s incredible that some actors can convey such a wide spectrum of emotion with a simple look. It’s another reason why I love movies.
Leave a comment and share some of your favourite movie moments. I’d love to hear them!

No comments: