Wednesday, January 25, 2006

"Well, what if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today."

For the past few days I have been hopelessly addicted to ‘24’. I saw the last five or six episodes of Season Four a while back and when Shauna and I saw the first three seasons on DVD for a really great price, we couldn’t resist. Well, I couldn’t resist. As such, I haven’t been watching nearly as many movies as I would like. But here’s a brief look at what I have been watching.

I really liked Ladder 49 the first time I saw it, but it would have been difficult to put my finger on what it was that impressed me so much. After watching it for a second time I think I have it figured out. Aside from having spectacular visuals of some incredible fires, the film is an emotional roller coaster that takes the viewer through virtually every mountain and valley of Jack Morrison’s life as a firefighter, husband, father and friend. The thing I enjoyed most about this film was the way I reacted to each of Jack’s situations. I was excited and thrilled as he fought his first fire. I laughed and smiled when he met his future wife and hung out at the pub with his closest friends. I cheered when he saved a man’s life. I felt sorrow, joy, heartache, elation, frustration, pride, anger, delight, fear and regret. Some have argued that the film has no plot. First of all, there is a very distinct plot - it just happens to be segmented between numerous flashbacks of Jack’s life. And second of all, the purpose of the film is to show that life, Jack's struggles and victories. Ladder 49 was intended to be a celebration of the life of a firefighter and I think it accomplishes that exceptionally well. It certainly belongs right beside Backdraft as one of the quintessential ‘fire’ movies.

Anyone with a fascination for World War II, and that’s most of us, would appreciate Memphis Belle. Based on the true story of a B-17 ‘Flying Fortress’ that flew 25 missions during the war, Memphis Belle portrays the final mission of the aircraft and her crew. The film was released in 1990 and seems to have suffered during the transfer to DVD. The video quality is a bit grainy in areas and certainly doesn’t have the nice crisp picture quality we’ve come to expect from today’s new releases. There were also a couple of scenes where I felt the acting was forced, but ultimately my fondness for this movie has little to do with any of these things. The story itself is enough to keep you entertained. The characters are diverse and much of the enjoyment comes from watching them interact with each other. It’s another one of those bizarre family bonds that can only form during the harshness of war. Sean Astin, Matthew Modine, Harry Connick Jr., Billy Zane, Eric Stoltz, Tate Donovan, David Strathairn and John Lithgow make for a remarkably star studded cast, though most of these actors didn’t become ‘big’ until years later. Memphis Belle is definitely worth a look.

My single most favourite comedy of all time has to be Groundhog Day. Which is ironic since I don’t think Groundhog Day is the funniest movie I’ve ever seen. I just love the concept of the film and Bill Murray’s performance is one of his best. For the three people out there who haven’t seen this gem yet, let me fill you in. Phil Connors (Murray) is a self centered weather man who is sent to Punxsatawny, Pennsilvania to film the annual Groundhog Day festival. His new producer Rita (Andie MacDowell) and cameraman Larry (Chris Elliot) accompany him. Phil’s alarm clock goes off at 6:00am, he does his report then immediately heads back home. Unfortunately, a blizzard prevents them from leaving and Phil must spend the rest of the day in Punxsatawny. The next morning his alarm goes off at 6:00am and Phil discovers that Groundhog Day is repeating itself. The exact same day continues to recur over and over, with Phil the only one aware. Imagine what you might do if you had the exact same day to relive countless times. Consider the possibilities available to you, knowing exactly what everyone was going to say and do, exactly when everything was going to happen. Groundhog Day does a remarkable job of taking us through virtually every one of those possibilities. It also raises countless philosophical questions, but that’s a blog for another day.

What do you get when you mix the sequel to an action blockbuster, director John Woo (Face/Off, Broken Arrow, Windtalkers) and mega-superstar Tom Cruise? You get a movie with a so-so plot and tons of incredible stunts, thrilling action scenes, really big explosions and stunning cinematography. Mission: Impossible 2 is supposed to be an action-filled thrill ride and that’s exactly what it is. Is it complex, deeply thematic and rife with drama and tension? No. Is it meant to be? Absolutely not. This is not a realistic depiction of spy work. But it is the kind of spy work that is incredibly entertaining and ultra-cool. If you want realism, turn on the news (and even then, good luck). If you want pure entertainment and thrill-a-minute action, turn on Mission: Impossible 2. If you happen to turn on the DVD with a good TV and home theatre system you’ll be even more impressed with the beautiful picture and amazing sound. This is a great flick!

Raising Arizona is probably one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. Which is ironic since it’s not my most favourite comedy of all time. One of the Coen brothers’ first films, Raising Arizona is the story of H.I. and Edwina McDunnough and their simple desire to raise a child of their own. I’m not going to give any more details about the plot. The real humour of the film is in the dialogue and over-the-top chase scenes. If you’re familiar with the Coen Brothers you already know that this is no ordinary comedy. The characters are unlike any you’ve seen before and their actions and reactions are pure hilarity. Nicholas Cage and Holly Hunter are arguably at their best in Raising Arizona. This is a comedy classic that is definitely a must-see.

Sound the alarm and click here for ‘Ladder 49’ trivia.
Bombs away! ‘Memphis Belle’ trivia is on target here.
I definitely see a shadow. Six more weeks of ‘Groundhog Day’ trivia.
‘Mission: Impossible 2’ trivia will self-destruct in 5 minutes.
Turn to the left and click here for ‘Raising Arizona’ trivia.

1 comment:

Tom said...

Thanks Gene!

I've been poking around your blog for a little while too. I like it! Happy blogging.

Tom